Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth FrozenNorth is offline

Default Installing 32" prehung entrance door

Meat Plow tossed the following at the wall, and it stuck:

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:00:56 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:57:39 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

A couple major issues:
The wall is about an inch off plumb from the bottom of the door from to
the top (81.5 inches) The wall leans inward the door is an inswing.
The wall was constructed using 2x3's, the door is for 2x4 wall.

If the studs are 2x3 you woulif there isn't too much weight on the

frame,d make allowance for the plasterboard on
top, giving you a 100mm (4inch) thick wall. The door casing on a plumb 4
inch wall should fit perfectly so the architreve will fit flush to door
casing and finished wall.

As I see it the only thing to do is to shore up the wall using 1x1 shims
at the top so the door casing is plumb, and to do some creative moulding
on the inside to make up for the door being set in and inch from the
wall at the top. Or are there some other alternatives, trust me I'm all
ears. I've replaced several doors in the past but never one on 2x3
construction and never one that was this far out of plumb.

I have fitted doorsets in non-plumb walls in the past (and probably will
in the future :-)) and the usif there isn't too much weight on the

frame,ual way to do it has been to fix the doorset
perfectly plumb in the centre of the opening (in this case, so that there
is half-an-inch over at the top on the outside and half-an-inch over at
the bottom on the inside) then use a router or circular saw to rebate (or
as you colonials say, rabbet) the back of the architreve to fit flush on
both the wall and door casing. Any gaps remaining can be filled by
decorator's caulk (as we say in joinery 'The man in white'll put it
right').

Other than that, you could shim the studs on the wall so that any
plasterboard will be plumb, fix the doorset correctly and fill out
whatever deficit remains between the width of the casing and thickness of
the wall with a lath of suitable timber of the correct thickness. Then
plant your architreve.

HTH mate.

Thanks, sounds very reasonable. Basically shim up on the front and sides
to plumb and level then do some creative carpentry work for trim and
moulding. Trimming the back of the casing to fit flush with the inside
isn't an option since I'd be cutting off part of where the lockset
anchors.

Told you I'd take care of you. You also have the option as part of the
creative carpentry to mortise in a piece of a two by four that is level
where the lockset will go. If the door is prehung, I'd hang it first, then
cut out about eight inches around the lockset, and use good beefy screws to
drive the 2x4 into whatever meat (excust the pun) you can find behind it,
building up as necessary before putting in the frame. That may involve
some plaster work, depending upon how thorough you want to be, and what
your comfort level is with the work.

It'll be a lot of work, but it should be doable.
--
Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A: A canary with the super-user password.