Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default device to push slider windows tightly closed

On Apr 24, 7:29 am, John Keith wrote:

Caulking the windows shut would be a great solution except that they
need to remain operational so that when they have some one come to
clean the outside of the windows they can reach them through the open
window.

I only suggested caulking it shut for a situation where the window is
beyond help and replacement isn't in the budget. If they are
"sliders" then they cross over each other when opened, thur preventing
"cleaning" when opened.

The idea of the bar clamp is interesting and I've not seen reversible
clamps before but I'm not sure the couple could operate them (the
husband is physically disabled.) But more importantly I'm not sure
they would meet the wife's request for something that looks
"pleasing". Right now I have a 1x2 of the approximate correct length
+1/4" wedged in place to push against the two moveable panes and she
says that would look OK if they were white. I'm not sure either of
these people could routinely insert even these "wedges" so I'm trying
to think of something that would insert much easier, like an
over-center type of pressure expander.

All bar clamps are reversible as well as some other designs. The
stationary part of the clamp need merely be flipped around to face the
other way to convert it into a spreader. Since ordinary steel pipe is
used, it can be cut to the exact length you need. They can also be
converted into an extra long clamp by simply coupling the pipe end to
end. Other clamps do not have this feature.

Finally, I understand your comment about two clamps, one high and one
low but again I think due to the physical limitations of teh couple
installing the high one would be a challenge. The one wedge I have in
the middle right now for a test seems to be a good compromise, if I
can solve the other problems (ease of install and attractive.)

I only intended the clamp/spreader as a solution to closing a very
stubborn window. I would not expect that they would remain in place
after use. They need not be "attractive" if they are in storage.