Posted to alt.home.repair
Aardvark Aardvark is offline

Default Installing 32" prehung entrance door

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:57:39 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

A couple major issues:
The wall is about an inch off plumb from the bottom of the door from to
the top (81.5 inches) The wall leans inward the door is an inswing.
The wall was constructed using 2x3's, the door is for 2x4 wall.

If the studs are 2x3 you would make allowance for the plasterboard on top,
giving you a 100mm (4inch) thick wall. The door casing on a plumb 4 inch
wall should fit perfectly so the architreve will fit flush to door casing
and finished wall.

As I see it the only thing to do is to shore up the wall using 1x1 shims
at the top so the door casing is plumb, and to do some creative moulding
on the inside to make up for the door being set in and inch from the
wall at the top. Or are there some other alternatives, trust me I'm all
ears. I've replaced several doors in the past but never one on 2x3
construction and never one that was this far out of plumb.

I have fitted doorsets in non-plumb walls in the past (and probably will
in the future :-)) and the usual way to do it has been to fix the doorset
perfectly plumb in the centre of the opening (in this case, so that there
is half-an-inch over at the top on the outside and half-an-inch over at
the bottom on the inside) then use a router or circular saw to rebate (or
as you colonials say, rabbet) the back of the architreve to fit flush on
both the wall and door casing. Any gaps remaining can be filled by
decorator's caulk (as we say in joinery 'The man in white'll put it right').

Other than that, you could shim the studs on the wall so that any
plasterboard will be plumb, fix the doorset correctly and fill out
whatever deficit remains between the width of the casing and thickness of
the wall with a lath of suitable timber of the correct thickness. Then
plant your architreve.

HTH mate.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.