Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Looking for 4-Prong Phone Outlet to Modular Plug

On 25 Apr 2007 03:39:20 -0700, nr wrote:

You are correct, but that won't serve my purpose. I want to use the 4-
prongs to allow me to easily disconnect the connection, since I can't
find a modular cable with a switch on it (anyone know of one?).
Removing and inserting a modular plug will damage the plastic clip.
Removing the 4-prong plug from it's jack does no damage. So, I am
trying to find a 4-prong jack with a modular plug.

I thought they sold modular cords, with modular plugs on each end,
with switches on them, close to one end, to turn off the phone.

If not, just use the modlular plug, and when the tab breaks off,
replace it. They sell cutter/crimper/pliers for this purpose for about
10 dollars I think for the plastic version which works well enough,
and they sell the little clear plastic connectors at 10 for 4?
dollars.

Just note which way the wire is before cutting off the old plug. Is
black on the left or the right when the tap side is up. Don't just
hold the wire in place, because if you let go of the wire it will flip
over.

I think the cheap crimper I have will do both 4 and 6 wires plugs, and
I know it will do phone line plugs as well as the cord between the
phone and the handset. Those plugs are a little bit harder to find,
but not that hard.