Posted to alt.home.repair

Default building a deck questions

Call the county, and talk to the code enforcement folks. They
should know this kind of thing.

Opinions from usenet readers are just opinions. The code
enforcement folks have the force of law.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hello, I live in Southern California (Ventura county to be more
: accurate). I am building a deck on to my house and I have a
couple of
: questions that I hope someone can answer for me.
:
: 1. I will be sinking footers at least 24" into the ground with
: brackets for 4x4's to be the pilons for the deck. My question
is
: this, what diameter do I need to use. I will get a bunch of
the round
: concrete forms, but will the 8" ones be sufficient or do I need
10" or
: 12". The deck will not be holding any massive weight (no spa
or
: anything like that just foot traffic).
:
: 2. I've made up plans for both attaching the deck to the house
and
: also free standing. What do I need to know in order to make
the
: decision between the two. I suppose it would be more sturdy if
: attach it, but it would be easier if I build a free standing.
I'm all
: for doing it the easier way, but I want to know what are the
possible
: pit falls of free standing vs. attached.
:
: If anyone could answer these questions for me I would greatly
: appreciate it.
:
: -D o n
: