Posted to alt.home.repair

Default building a deck questions

Hello, I live in Southern California (Ventura county to be more
accurate). I am building a deck on to my house and I have a couple of
questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1. I will be sinking footers at least 24" into the ground with
brackets for 4x4's to be the pilons for the deck. My question is
this, what diameter do I need to use. I will get a bunch of the round
concrete forms, but will the 8" ones be sufficient or do I need 10" or
12". The deck will not be holding any massive weight (no spa or
anything like that just foot traffic).

2. I've made up plans for both attaching the deck to the house and
also free standing. What do I need to know in order to make the
decision between the two. I suppose it would be more sturdy if I
attach it, but it would be easier if I build a free standing. I'm all
for doing it the easier way, but I want to know what are the possible
pit falls of free standing vs. attached.

If anyone could answer these questions for me I would greatly
appreciate it.

-D o n

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Apr 2007 11:56:43 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Someone else should check my figures for this, but:

If the deck is big enough for a person to get under it,
figure it will eventually have around 100psf combined load
on it. If it's a low-lying deck, figure 60 PSF.
(It doesn't matter what you EXPECT to put on it,
use the values for the most anyone reasonably MIGHT put
on it.)

Undisturbed soil will support anywhere from 0 to 4000 PSF.
SInce someone's managed to build a house there that's not
sinking, you're probably safe at figuring at least
1500 PSF. If you're on solid well-drained gravel,
double that.

An 8" pile has a cross-section of a bit over 50 sqin.
and if the ground is good for 1500PSF, that works out to
about 350 pounds per piling, which, for a low deck,
means each pile will hold up 8+ sqft of deck.
By contrast, a 12" pile will hold up nearly
20 sqft of deck.

How big is the deck, and how many pilings are you
planning to use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You do need to check local codes. In PA, they wanted a pad poured at
the bottom of a 36"hole, as there was a frost issue. I also picked up
a very useful book that gave deck plans, strength for spans, etc. I
worked from that, and submitted the plan to the local zoning officer,
along with photocopies of the pertinent tables, etc. No problems.

As to free-standing, I'd go to attach to a plate that is lag screwed
on to side of house. More stable, and you can reference everything off
of that. I ended up putting a hot tub on the deck a number of years
after I built the deck, so was quite glad that I had slightly "over
engineered" the deck to take the load of the hot tub.

Local code required that I build it strong enough so that if I ever
enclosed it, that it would stand the load. Good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GoHabsGo" wrote

Where do you live? Do you have ground frost?

Hello, I live in Southern California (Ventura county to be more
accurate).

I love Usenet. Just when you think you've seen and heard the stupidest
things in the world, someone comes along and blows your socks off once
again!

Maybe GoHabsGo is as weak in geography as he is in reading comprehension.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Asking for advice from people around the world is like asking what the
weather will be like tomorrow. Everyone may answer, but it don't mean
anything relative to where you live. Go down and check the local codes. In
most parts of the area, decks would be a thing you probably wouldn't even
have to pull a permit in. In Venture county, you probably need everything
from soil compaction tests to engineer stamped drawings. Go to your local
authorities and start there.

Just like you have already had people ask you about frost, the answers
people give may not have anything to do with your part of the country.

Good luck, and watch out for that frost.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:I18Xh.6467$dM1.3010
@trndny07:

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
45.131...
wrote in news:1177354603.562262.219130
@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Hello, I live in Southern California (Ventura county to be more
accurate).

Where do you live? Do you have ground frost?

Wow, reading is not one of your hobbies eh?

oops, my bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in news:2s9Xh.198646$ZA5.110443
@newsfe15.phx:

"GoHabsGo" wrote

Where do you live? Do you have ground frost?

Hello, I live in Southern California (Ventura county to be more
accurate).

I love Usenet. Just when you think you've seen and heard the stupidest
things in the world, someone comes along and blows your socks off once
again!

Maybe GoHabsGo is as weak in geography as he is in reading comprehension.

Sorry, I have no idea how I missed that. Please excuse my brain fart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call the county, and talk to the code enforcement folks. They
should know this kind of thing.

Opinions from usenet readers are just opinions. The code
enforcement folks have the force of law.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 1:01 pm, Goedjn wrote:
[...]

The deck is an odd shape. It is about 32' long, 18' wide at one end
and 4' at the other. It also covers a sloped area. Close to the house
the deck is at 27"high at the edge of the deck it is 40" high. I'm
trying to cut down the 40" by terrising(sp?) the yard. The plan calls
for 27 posts in all. the plan i got from Lowes.com says it is 41psf
live load and 10 psf dead.

BUILDING A DECK [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 6th 07 02:48 PM
Building a deck over a slab jtumis Home Repair 4 September 30th 06 03:41 AM
building a deck Sam the Cat Woodworking 9 October 7th 05 01:54 AM
Deck Building carpcotton Woodworking 4 January 19th 05 12:21 PM
Book about building your own deck Andy Dingley UK diy 2 August 7th 03 04:29 PM