Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kettles

In article .com,
" writes:
Why aren't kettles highly insulated?

I was distracted by the phone this morning and kettle had cooled a bit
before I poured my cuppa.

Made me think how convenient and energy efficient kettles would be if
they could keep the water in them near boiling for some time.

I have a Siemens kettle which is perhaps 6 years old, and is
insulated. Outside is brushed stainless steel, inside is plastic
except for the flat bottomed element. One issue with an insulated
kettle is you can't quickly tell if it's already boiled, or if
you forgot to switch it on in the first place.

It was designed by Porsche -- he might be able to design cars,
but as with many designers, he completely failed to design a
spout which can pour properly. Otherwise, it works fine.

We have a kettle at work which has a "keep hot" switch on it,
which maintains the temperature just below boiling when the
boil switch is off. It's a large industrial thing though,
with a hopelessly underpowered element for its size.

--
Andrew Gabriel