Jon Elson

Default Lifting a 900lb mill without a hoist

Rick Chamberlain wrote:
Gents,

I built a cart for my Hardinge TM and need to get the TM on it. The cart
is made of heavy angle and box channel, and I used 6" wide pieces of 6x8
angle for the caster mounts. The mounts ride outboard of the cart, and
the top of the mounts rides higher than the bed of the cart - by design
- so that the mill will only be 5" off the ground when transferred.

I have the mill resting on a couple of 4x4s, and can easily get her a
bit higher. Tha challenge here is how do I transfer the mill from the
wooden platform to the cart without killing myself.

Is the middle of the cart open? Ie, the cart is 4 beams with wheels at
the corner?

If so, you can move the 4x4s back a bit from the lightest end of the mill,
until you can work the cart partially under the machine. when you get it
far enough under, you can build a temporary support in the middle of
the cart, move the 4x4s and roll the cart well under the mill. Then
kind of repeat the process at the back end.

If the cart is solid all across, you need to build a lifting frame that
basically becomes outriggers for the mill. Roll the cart under, and then
ease the mill down onto the cart.

One trick is if the outriggers can be set up to lift the machine from
ABOVE the machine's base, so the base is suspended from the timbers
with allthread.

Jon