Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keith John Keith is offline

Default device to push slider windows tightly closed

On 24 Apr 2007 13:39:54 -0700, Lawrence
wrote:

It is also possible to make a clamp or spreader of any length since
the pipe can be cut to order and the pipes can also be threaded to
each other to make a really long clamp. There are nicer clamps for
woodworking but none as cheap or versatile as the pipe clamps. I only
suggested it as a gentle way to close a problem window. I would not
expect that they remain in place after use. They need not be
"pleasing" if they are in storage. Good luck with all.

Neat, I had never thought of reversing the parts of a piple clamp to
turn it into a "spreader". Good idea. SO I see two problems with pipe
clamps:

- turning the handle while next to the window would not be possible

- the pipe is heavy and the homeowners could not hold them long enough
to get them clamped into place

But I should look at the clamps that are available these days and see
if they might work. I've not used these (wife thinks I have enough
tools and the current pipe clamps don't need to be replaced.) Don't
these newer clamps have some trigger/rachet mechanism?

John Keith