Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Looking for 4-Prong Phone Outlet to Modular Plug

In article om,
nr wrote:

Continuously inserting and removing
the modular plugs causes the clip part to break off.

Using proper care, the clip should withstand DAILY operation without any
fatigue.

Of course, in the event the clip does break off, that would be a GREAT excuse
to buy a nice, new tool: Modular plug presser.

Getting one that does BOTH RJ11 (phone) and RJ45 (ethernet) is the best but,
of course, the most expensive.

I am open to alternatives.

Turn off the ringer on the phone. That is, of course, unless I'm missing
another need to physically/electrically disconnect the telephone.

Using a small (1-1/2 x 2-1/2 inches?) project box and DPDT switch, I placed
all the phone "station equipment" on my dial-up line "behind" (beyond) the
modem. When dialing-up, using this switch, I "killed" all the other equipment
and bridged wire beyond the modem which improved the connection.

My brother, an elementary school principal for many years, once expressed a
desire for a ringer in his bathroom. During his morning shave is when his
staff might call-in sick or whatever. I advised him to get a cheap PHONE in
there instead. He got all huffy, "I don't WANT a phone in there!!". I said,
OK. I can install a $30-50 ringer or you can install a $6 phone - and just
DON'T ANSWER IT if/when it rings! (Duh!)
--

JR

Mean Evil Bell System
Historical Society