Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default device to push slider windows tightly closed

On Apr 24, 7:29 am, John Keith wrote:
On 23 Apr 2007 23:51:42 -0700, Lawrence
wrote:

Larry,

Thank you for your quick reply.

As usual your reply prompts me to supply some additional info.

On a really bad windows I will just find a way to somehow get it
closed then cover then caulk it shut.

Caulking the windows shut would be a great solution except that they
need to remain operational so that when they have some one come to
clean the outside of the windows they can reach them through the open
window.

For sure caulking them shut is the last gasp solution only to be used
on windows that are barely usable anyway.

The idea of the bar clamp is interesting and I've not seen reversible
clamps before but I'm not sure the couple could operate them (the
husband is physically disabled.) But more importantly I'm not sure
they would meet the wife's request for something that looks
"pleasing".

I have a good selection of bar clamps, very useful. All bar clamps
are reversible. The clamp screws onto the end of ordinary steel pipe
which is threaded on it's end. It is the same type of pipe used for
water or gas supply, available in 1/2" and 3/4". It is only necessary
to flip the stationary part of the clamp around to face the other way
to make into a spreader. Other styles of clamps also have this
feature.

It is also possible to make a clamp or spreader of any length since
the pipe can be cut to order and the pipes can also be threaded to
each other to make a really long clamp. There are nicer clamps for
woodworking but none as cheap or versatile as the pipe clamps. I only
suggested it as a gentle way to close a problem window. I would not
expect that they remain in place after use. They need not be
"pleasing" if they are in storage. Good luck with all.