Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump running every two minutes

On Apr 24, 8:44�am, "dnoyeB" wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:52:30 -0400, mm wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:52:28 -0400, Just Joshin
wrote:

On 20 Apr 2007 17:33:21 -0700, Joe wrote:

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a

But 2 days after a rain like you had is a lot like "just stopped
raining". *My pump runs for a day normally after a long storm, and I
think sometimes longer.

It's surprisign that the interval has gotten smaller, but if there is
some sort of water leak somewhere, you'll have to wait until the
ground dries out longer to learn that.

massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

I've heard a failed check valve can cause repeated cycling of a sump
pump. *Might want to check that.

I have no check valve at all. *That's the way the house came. *I can
hear the water run back when the pump turns off, and I can see it in
the bottom of the sump too.

I think it raises the water level about an inch or less (I can check
if someone wants), and probably takes under 5 seconds to pump out the
next time. *I used to know just how long it takes to pump out the
whole sump, but now I only remember that it was between 25 and 35
seconds.

So I guess I'm wasting maybe between a sixth and a twelvth of the
electricity I use for the pump, but I'm pretty sure that's no more
than a dollar a year. *If I put in a battery backup, I'll have to add
checkvalves for both of them.

tom @www.Consolidated-Loans.info

What your wasting depends on the size of your pipe. *Your also wasting the
life of your pump. *And of course there is also the critters that can find
their way in. *Plus it becomes a path for air when its empty. *Check valve
is pretty cheap for what it does.- Hide quoted text -

I have no checkvalve. My pump is near the garage door, in the right
conditions water held by a check valve could freeze ruining
everything.

My pump drains downward to a line running underground to daylight at
the street......