Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default device to push slider windows tightly closed

how about a twist to adjust shower curtain rod? Dunno if you'll find one
that short however.

--
Steve Barker

"John Keith" wrote in message
I'm helping an elderly couple with some troublesome windows in their
home. The windows are sliders (one slider on each end) separated by a
48" fixed window. The windows are old and the latches don't work well
and the seals are poor, therefore they leak air badly. I have done
some weatherstripping which is an improvemetn but what I am looking
for now is a device that can be inserted between the two sliders and
exert some pressure on each side to force them to close tightly
against the far edge. I'd like something that has an over-center type
action or a screw adjustment to apply the pressure since neither
occupant can handle much force. Before I go off and try to fabricate
something for them can anyone suggest a commerical product that could
accomplish what I am trying to do? If further explanantion is needed
I'll gladly respond with more details

I'd also like any ideas on what I could use to better seal the edge of
the slider that mates to the end of the fixed window (the far side is
not so bad to deal with.) The frames are metal (these are old windows)
so there is only a very small surface to apply any weatherstrip and
the gap is very small (but large enough to be a source of air leaks.)

Thanks for any ideas!
John Keith