Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keith John Keith is offline

Default device to push slider windows tightly closed

On 23 Apr 2007 23:51:42 -0700, Lawrence
wrote:

Larry,

Thank you for your quick reply.

As usual your reply prompts me to supply some additional info.

On a really bad windows I will just find a way to somehow get it
closed then cover then caulk it shut.

Caulking the windows shut would be a great solution except that they
need to remain operational so that when they have some one come to
clean the outside of the windows they can reach them through the open
window.

The idea of the bar clamp is interesting and I've not seen reversible
clamps before but I'm not sure the couple could operate them (the
husband is physically disabled.) But more importantly I'm not sure
they would meet the wife's request for something that looks
"pleasing". Right now I have a 1x2 of the approximate correct length
+1/4" wedged in place to push against the two moveable panes and she
says that would look OK if they were white. I'm not sure either of
these people could routinely insert even these "wedges" so I'm trying
to think of something that would insert much easier, like an
over-center type of pressure expander.

Finally, I understand your comment about two clamps, one high and one
low but again I think due to the physical limitations of teh couple
installing the high one would be a challenge. The one wedge I have in
the middle right now for a test seems to be a good compromise, if I
can solve the other problems (ease of install and attractive.)

I may need to describe the details of the interface better also
between the slider and the fixed pane to get some good commetns about
weatherstripping. I'll try to do that later today when I have more
time.

John Keith