Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Help please identifying another part - This one from an NEC TV.

Randel Chiffiald ) writes:
I need to replace a 2.2 mfd 160 V cap, but I don't know which type
of capacitor,(electrolytic, tant, mica, poly... etc.) it is, and I haven't
opened the set yet because although it has a problem, it is still watchable
and I'd like to find out the type of cap so I can buy it before hand and
swap it at the same time I first open it up for service as not to
inconvenience the customer, (who happens to be my ex, and you KNOW how
touchy that situation can be right? She's my ex for a very good reason
vbg) And obviously, seeing as who it is, you know it's going to be a
"government job" Know what I mean?

HOw in the world can you know that it's a specific capacitor without
having opened the tv set?

Either you're guessing at what it might be, or you've done the old
"I took it to a repairman, but they wanted $200 to repair it, so I'm
going to do it myself. But I need to know, what's a capacitor?".

Anyone who really had an idea would be able to make a very good guess
on what type of capacitor.

Michael