Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bigjim@backpacker.com is offline

Default building a deck questions

Free standing usually dont require permits. Saves time money and
taxes.

On Apr 23, 2:56 pm, wrote:
Hello, I live in Southern California (Ventura county to be more
accurate). I am building a deck on to my house and I have a couple of
questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1. I will be sinking footers at least 24" into the ground with
brackets for 4x4's to be the pilons for the deck. My question is
this, what diameter do I need to use. I will get a bunch of the round
concrete forms, but will the 8" ones be sufficient or do I need 10" or
12". The deck will not be holding any massive weight (no spa or
anything like that just foot traffic).

2. I've made up plans for both attaching the deck to the house and
also free standing. What do I need to know in order to make the
decision between the two. I suppose it would be more sturdy if I
attach it, but it would be easier if I build a free standing. I'm all
for doing it the easier way, but I want to know what are the possible
pit falls of free standing vs. attached.

If anyone could answer these questions for me I would greatly
appreciate it.

-D o n