Gunner

Default firearms - modern labor saving devices.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:52:43 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:15:28 -0500, Gary Coffman
wrote:

The manager of the Sugarloaf QuikTrip told me that he went from new hire
to store manager in 2 weeks. Apparently they're promoting rather rapidly.

And how many hours a week does this "Manager" put in doing
managerial type duties like ordering, billing, payroll - versus
standing behind the counter running the register that an hourly
employee would be doing?

There are a lot of companies who view making someone "management" a
cheap way to get an overtime-exempt slave, where they can saddle you
with 80+ hour weeks as a 'salaried' or 'exempt' employee, including
covering every shift where an employee calls in sick or just doesn't
bother to show up... Beware.

California has busted companies for doing this, but when you have
lawyers on retainer there's always another loophole out there...

-- Bruce --

Indeed. My last position before getting into the machine tool
industry, was tech services manager of one of the Cincinnati Time
franchises. Time clocks, data collection, access control, fire alarms,
etc etc..I had the C7-C10 he needed.

Things went along swimmingly until one payday I noticed that my 30hrs
OT seemed to be missing from my weekly check..when I politely
inquired..he bluntly told me that as I was "management", he no longer
needed to pay me OT. After a bit of discussion with the little
****ant, I sucked it up and a week later got into the machine tool
business via a customer/friend.

Lots of that sort of examples abound.

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider