Posted to alt.home.repair
mstrspy mstrspy is offline

Default Old Septic Tank Caved in

That's what I was thinking, sand, but I had no sand on hand this
weekend and needed to fill that hole with something.

A few years back, I found another similar hole but smaller. Did the
same thing, filled it with bolders and I haven' seen any errosion.

I'm not sure why that other hole was there. Does a typical septic
system have two chambers spread appart?

On 22 Apr 2007 19:21:13 -0700, Joe wrote:

mstrspy wrote:
I recently discovered a small hole in my back yard filled with water,

snip

This past weekend I filled the hole with rocks and bolders.

Really, really bad idea. Before going further, get a load of sand
(that's SAND!) and start filling it. Bank run gravel may settle
eventually, but sand will compact between the rocks many times faster.
Keep it a foot below grade until next summer, then do the topsoil and
grass seed routine.

HTH

Joe