Posted to alt.home.repair
mstrspy mstrspy is offline

Default Old Septic Tank Caved in

I probably would have opened it up and filled it with crushed rock,
It's a pretty dangerous sitiuation to have a huge viod underground
lined with steel that wil eventually rot away.

The previous owners didn't want to spend anything on tihs house. I
bouht the place when I was an unsuspecting kid.
For example, these cheap skates woudln'teven spring for a 3 prong plug
for the dryer. The hard wired it into the fuse box. Very dangerous and
illegal. Had all of this stuff fixed.

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:20:44 -0500, "J.A. Michel"
wrote:

"mstrspy" wrote in message
.. .
I recently discovered a small hole in my back yard filled with water,
I pushed a long stick into the hole and found that the hole was 4'
deep! My house is 60 years old and was hooked up to town sewerage I'm
guessing about 50 years ago. I have lived here for 30 years and had no
clue a to where the old septic tank was.
I know were it is now! The small hole ended up yo be a 5 foot diameter
hole with muddy water about 4ft deep. Good thing I found it before
some kid fell in.
This past weekend I filled the hole with rocks and bolders. The hole
is now about 6" deep. Shoud I add crushed stone before I add top soil?
Seems like if I add top soil over bolders it will seep down.

Bury it and be done with it.

The people that were the previous owners weren't too bright. They
should have doen something about the old septic tank after they
disconnected it from the house.

What should have they done with it? Why don't you do it then? Should they
have dug it up?
My house also has an abandoned septic tank in the yard. I've done with it
the same thing that
you're previous owners did with yours - *nothing*.