Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Trapdoor for spiral staircase

Lobster wrote:
As more than one other poster has hinted, there are big implications for
building regs here.... what are the "various reasons" the floors need to
be separated - can you give more information about the project as a
whole? What accomodation is on these two floors, what access
arrangements and means of escapes etc are there, etc etc?

The idea is there are two small 'flats' on top of each other and a basement,
each which is capable of being used separately. They have separate external
entrances, which would be used in the case of fire. But if a larger space
is required it's possible to connect them together to form one unit. As
space is tight this means a spiral staircase, so I'm trying to come up with
ways that the staircase can be opened or closed off depending on need. Such
a closure isn't going to be used frequently: I'd envisage once a week at the
maximum, more like once a month. Betweentimes it'd be either be locked open
or locked shut. As the two flats would be occupied by different people,
when closed there needs to be soundproofing between them.

An enclosed staircase with doors is an obvious possibility but it feels like
a lift shaft or belltower: claustrophobic. It also doesn't connect the two
living spaces very well when in use. I'm trying to come up with something
better.

As regards building regs go... it's in Greece so UK regs technically don't
apply. However anything that's a silly idea here is probably a silly idea
there so it'd be sensible to pay attention to them. (And I get annoyed with
how slack their regs are, so Doing Things Properly is definitely an
objective).

You're right, though, that careful thought is required regarding the safety
implications... even if something is intended not to be used in emergency it
quite possibly will be.

Theo