Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes Rick Hughes is offline

Default Plasterboarding - how to level all the supporting batterns across a long wall?

"tester" wrote in message
Hi,

I appreciate you can level individual batterns horizontally /
vertically using a spirit level or similar, but if the walls are bumpy
and irregular, how do you level the whole support across large spans
so that the plasterboard sits perfectly across the length and breadth
of the wall?

Do you fit spacers or something - I've been pondering the best method
but if there's a correct way to carry this out?

If this is a new wall set end studs to be plumb - vertical ... run a line
across top & bottom from one end to other, and make sure all others studs
touch this line, you may need to wallop a tad to move them on header/footer
timbers.
Just concentrate on one side of wall only.

Run string diagonal .. corner to corner to check all is OK

Then fit your horizontal noggins (or Dwangs if up t'north) fit the edges
flush with the edge of the studs and you should be all Ok on one face.

On other side as long as all within 3mm or so ... just ignore it and fix
boards .... if you have the odd noggin sticking out - then I run an electric
plane over them ... few seconds to put them right.

If there are any more than 3mm shallow, staple on some hardboard.

Mark your floor & ceilings with a pencil at the stud centers to make finding
then easier when nailing up.

For Plaster board (quaint old stuff) ... stagger boards on alternate faces
... i.e. joints are not on same stud on both sides.

For Fermacell (much better IMHO) ... do not stagger, joints must be on same
stud.