Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default Sump pump running every two minutes

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:02:26 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:25:31 -0500, deke wrote:

On 20 Apr 2007 17:33:21 -0700, Joe wrote:

Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

Spend $7 and buy yourself some peace of mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-C-DRAIN-PAN-FL...QQcmdZViewItem

Just hook the switch to a radio or buzzer and you will be notified
when the sump has failed.

Very interesting. Your description says more bout it than its own
does. It will really turn on a 110 volt radio? The vendor doesn't
bother to say that.

It is just a plain ol switch that opens and closes when water covers
it. You can hook anything you want to the contacts.

I'd just stick it right above the sump inlet and hook a loud
radio/alarm to the NO(normally open) contacts. Then I'd quit
measuring how many seconds the sump pump runs.

Peace of MIND.

AS to leaking from the condensate pan, I had a lot of that, and
although there wasn't enough water to "destroy my home" as the vendor
puts it, it wasn't good.

The drain opening was clear and the pvc pipe was clear, and it came
out from the duct (plenum?) 1 inch horizontal, two inches down, 16
inches to the wall (horizontal, not at all up hill), 4 feet down to
the floor, 10 feet sideways to the sump along the wall, and 16 inches
out to the sump.

I ended up just cutting the pipe a bit and rearranging it, so that the
first 2 inches down were increased to ~16 inches down and then back
to the wall. Everything else stayed the same, and it has worked fine
ever since.