Posted to alt.home.repair
Luca Luca is offline

Default Sump pump running every two minutes

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

another thing to check is if there is much vertical lift on the discharge
line you could have a check valve leaking back causing the pump to short
cycle. just look into the sump and make sure after the pump cycles off that
you don't see water coming back in the sump from the pump intake.