Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Sump pump running every two minutes

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

At my old house the pump would run almost constantly. It didn't fail until
the switch broke and it ran while "dry".
Naturally they wear out eventually, and a battery powered backup will help
you sleep. If you do your own plumbing, it would also help to have a spare
pump on the shelf.

I am in Rochester NY and we had much less rain than you did, but I got the
most water in my sump since I moved here 14 years ago. Not high enough to
start the pump, but almost. It hasn't gone down, though we haven't had rain
in a couple days. Everything is so saturated, it just takes time to clear
out.