Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Sump pump running every two minutes

On Apr 20, 7:33 pm, Joe wrote:
Hi, I'm from CT and we had about 5-8 inches of rain earlier this week.
I just got back home and everything is well in the basement but I've
been timing the minutes between my sump pump turning on and it was
about 6 minutes earlier today and now it's going off about every 2.5
minutes. It normally doesn't go on at all unless it's raining or just
stopped raining - it hasn't rained here for 2 days but we did have a
massive Noreaster here on the east coast so I guess I'm asking if I
should be alarmed that the time periods between sump evacuations are
increasing rather than decreasing. What could be the reason for that?
I'm a little worried that my 1/2 HP is going to give out tonight while
I sleep due to overexertion.

It seems water is coming into the basement regardless of the details.
Just make sure your valuables are up off of the floor. Then go out
and buy a backup pump, cheap insurance. Perhaps install the new one
and keep the old one for a backup. Then maybe you can get some sleep,
(:

There are many posts like this and the standard answer is to address
the problem outside the house. Check grading to be sure water is
draining well away. Gutters also need to be check to see that they
are carrying water well away from the base of the house.