Jim Kovar

Default Lifting a 900lb mill without a hoist

In article ,
says...
I've used a comealong [sp?] like this:

http://www.centralonlinesales.com/sh...uct.asp?ID=440

to lift a 500 lb combination sheetmetal machine onto a stand. I hooked it
over a rafter in my garage near a supported end but 900 lb is probably a bit
much for that.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

Yeah, probably. Why did you even post this? Hanging 900 pounds from
the bottom cord of a 2X4 truss or rafter is *really* asking for trouble.
What you do in your own garage is your business, but hanging almost a
half ton with a come along from a garage rafter is the dumbest thing
I've heard of in quite awhile. Rafters and trusses are built for a TOP
load, not a bottom one.