Steven

Default Lifting a 900lb mill without a hoist

Rick Chamberlain wrote in message ...
Gents,

I'm in a bit of a bind and I'm too blind to see a solution. I'm hoping
someone here can set me straight.

This is what I'd do. Continue to raise the mill to the correct height
to get the cart under it. It sounds like another set of 4x4s would
get it high enough. Go with 2x4s if you can, lower is better.

I'd next build some cribing (or make a frame) to support the mill at
each end of the table, keeping the cribing as close to the knee as
possible.

Next add cribing or other support frame to the rear of the ram, which
I'd extend backwards to give you good three point support.

Remove the present 4x4s and slide the cart under the mill.

If you've planned the location of your supports carefully, it's a
simple matter to lower the mill at each of the three support points
until it's on the cart.

When raising and lowering this much weight to that height, do your
lifts in very very small steps. I sometimes use 1/2" plywood blocks
to keep the "bites" small. Lift...insert plywood, lift...insert
another plywood, lift...replace plywood with 2x4, etc.

-=- Steven Harris