Keith Marshall

Default Lifting a 900lb mill without a hoist

So, how about TWO comealongs? And, since you might also be worried about
the rafter, I suggest putting a cross member on top of several rafters,

and
lifting from that, to spread the load. It should also be possible to cut

couple of 2 x 4's to run between the floor and the rafter, to help support
it. A couple of shingles under each one could be used to get a little
preload.

A single comealong should be OK as long as it's rated to LIFT that much
weight. A 1-ton is probably only rated to drag that much, not to lift it.
The one I provided a link to was called a 4-ton but was only rated to lift 2
tons.

I did use a piece of 2" square tubing as an upright to reinforce the rafter
but I like your idea of bridging across several with a cross member.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Keith Marshall" wrote: (clip) to lift a 500 lb combination sheetmetal
machine onto a stand. I hooked it over a rafter in my garage near a
supported end but 900 lb is probably a bit much for that.