Posted to alt.home.repair
Cornerman Cornerman is offline

Default New Toilet Installation - Dripping Noise

Yup. The fill tube has a nice line marked.

And just to reiterate, I could still hear the drip noises with the
tank completely off the commode. I can't hear the drips with the
commode off the waste flange, so I don't think the drip noise is
simply echoing from someplace else.

Fred

On Apr 18, 11:14 pm, "Gary" wrote:
Did you adjust the float height to make sure no water goes over the fill
tube?

"Cornerman" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm starting to lose it, so I thought I'd try here.

I've removed an older toilet and replaced it with a Kohler Wellworth.
I've used a wax ring with horn and set that sucker in place, and
mounted a new tank.

After flushing, and after the tank stops filling, I can hear water
flowing somewhere until it slows to a drip. The drip noise continues
every 5 - 10 seconds.

After some attempts at deduction, I removed the tank. So, with just a
commode, I poured water in. Same thing. I can hear water flowing
somewhere until it slows to a drip. The drip noise continues every
5-10 seconds.

I saw no water seeping anywhere, and I have yet to see any signs of
water anywhere. And with the amount of noise I hear, I guess I'd
expect to see something somewhere.

So, I pulled the commode off. There was no tell tale signs of any
water getting past the wax seal. Everything looked bone dry.

I was thinking that maybe the excess water was simply dripping from
the horn into the pipe, and that the plastic pipe was amplifying the
noise, especially with my ear up against the commode. But I would also
expect the dripping noise to stop. But it doesn't (didnt, that is
since as of this writing, everything is uninstalled.

With no commode in place, I've poured water into the waste flange to
see if I can recreate "excess water dripping down the pipe" to no
avail.

So, sports fans... is there any chance that water in the commode is
somehow backing up and over and through the trap. And what would cause
that?

My next step is to get a wax-less Fernco ring and try again with some
crazy hope that this "excess water" was simply hanging on to the wax
and slowly dripping off forever.

Any help, sage advice, or direction to the nearest neighborhood bar
would be appreciated.

Fred- Hide quoted text -