Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Senility check - Garden shed foundation

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I was sure I'd asked this question a few months back, but I searched and
could not find the original post.

I want to put up a pump house with water wheel for a small pond. I plan on
renting a 'Little Beaver' to dig the holes for my supports. I also want to
put up a small garden shed. So I was thinking of digging some holes,
filling them with compacted gravel and putting foundation blocks on the
gravel to support the shed. I'll probably dig the holes about 3' deep for
both the shed and the pump house. The shed will have nothing but gravel in
the holes and the pump house holes will be started with gravel and then
enough concrete to hold the posts in place.

The frost line is about three feet down, although with the warmer weather
heaving seems to be less of a concern. It just seems that a concrete slab
is overkill for a small (10x8) garden shed?

If you're going to that much work anyway, why not just use sonotubes and put
down proper piers with anchor bolts on the top for clips to hold the floor
system of the shed?

aem sends...