Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

Default How to extend wiring by about a foot?

On Apr 18, 7:21 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
What you say is probably more common than not, however the NEC prohibits
wiring kitchen exhaust fans tapped from a kitchen outlet circuit

"sym" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 17, 10:58 am, "steve" wrote:
New cabinets will cause the Stove to be repositioned about 1 foot to the
right.
The wiring that went to the light / exhaust vent is to short to reach.
The wires just came out of a hole in the wall, no box there.

What's the best way to extend these wires?

Can I just put wire nuts and tape them?

I'm not sure if there is a stud in the way? I'll explore the hole
tonight.
If I have to get on the other side of the stud I may see if I can pull
the
old line and run a new line from the attic.

Is it "normal" to not install a box and just run the wires through a hole
in
the wall and into the back of the stove vent.

TIA

Steve

yes its normal not to use a box for the fan/light above the stove. the
hood is the box. it is probabaly being fed by a nearby recept. i would
try to find where it is fed from and disconnect it and try to run a
new line from the basement,or recpt located in the same bay as the
fan, the attic may be another option.
if you havent put in the new cabinets yet you can cut a strip of
drywall behind where the cabinets will be drill the studs and run wire
from nearest recpt, providing there is enough room in the box to for
them. it is likely to be the same recpt that now feeds it.- Hide quoted text -

yup good ole nec. authority having jurisdiction really can keep ya
guessing especially when you work in differnt jurisdictions.