Lennie the Lurker

Default Brown & Sharpe Calipers

Jim Stewart wrote in message ws.com...

It feels nice, goes back to zero everytime, but
drives me nuts with it's delay. I figured it's
just me so the other day I bought a B&S dial
caliper for home. I'm disappointed with it's
feel and the pointer is angled about 2 degrees
to the right at zero. All in all, my $18 Enco
no-name serves better.

Delay? MY B&S doesn't have any delay. Something needs to be looked
at. Zero point on dial calipers isn't always straight up, it varies a
little, depending on a lot of things, including how you are holding
your tongue. THe feel will improve with use, I've never had a new one
that felt right until I've used it for a while. I have a couple of
the chinese dial calipers, where the needle zero's out moves around
quite a bit, and I'm finding the chinese digital isn't always linear.
My good caliper is a Starrett dial, works well, but is still
relatively new. The old vernier caliper is hard to beat, no
batteries, no dial. I use that one the most.