Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default electrical outlets

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:54:39 -0700, Bob wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
The receptacle for my dryer (probably original installation when house
was built, around 1969) has the ground down. The plug on the dryer
(new last year) is positioned for a ground-up receptacle, so it has to
be plugged in with the cord going up instead of down.

Is this a gas or electric dryer? Most 120/240 volt appliance cords I
have seen have the ground on top. Also, it appears to be the custom for
gas dryers not to have right angle plugs, while washers have right angle
plugs with the ground down. This allows for both appliances to be
plugged into the same duplex outlet.

I have a 3-prong heavy duty extenision cord with the wire at a 45
degree angle. I guess it's meant to allow it with anything in any
socket. It's also darn thin. I've only see this kind of plug once.