Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default How to extend wiring by about a foot?

If you can pull the cable up into the attic and reroute it to the new
location, that would be fine. If it's not long enough to reach, you can
install a junction box in the attic and run a new, longer piece of cable
down to the new location. Typical kitchen fans DON'T have boxes behind them.
The cable just comes through a hole in the wall and attaches to the exhaust
fan unit via a cable connector, which you install in the knock out provided

"steve" wrote in message
news
New cabinets will cause the Stove to be repositioned about 1 foot to the
right.
The wiring that went to the light / exhaust vent is to short to reach.
The wires just came out of a hole in the wall, no box there.

What's the best way to extend these wires?

Can I just put wire nuts and tape them?

I'm not sure if there is a stud in the way? I'll explore the hole tonight.
If I have to get on the other side of the stud I may see if I can pull the
old line and run a new line from the attic.

Is it "normal" to not install a box and just run the wires through a hole
in
the wall and into the back of the stove vent.

TIA

Steve