michael

Default Brown & Sharpe Calipers

Jim Stewart wrote:

Back when I spent some time working with a real
machinist, he said that the best calipers were
Brown & Sharp. Well, a couple of years ago I
bought a B&S Digit-Cal digital caliper for work.
It feels nice, goes back to zero everytime, but
drives me nuts with it's delay. I figured it's
just me so the other day I bought a B&S dial
caliper for home. I'm disappointed with it's
feel and the pointer is angled about 2 degrees
to the right at zero. All in all, my $18 Enco
no-name serves better.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Still have my first 6" Tesa that I got for $39.95. Basically retired now
but still accurate after, uhm, several years.

Have a Mitsu 6" digital that I pretty much use only for the metric
feature.

Have a couple or three Mitsu 6" dials.

Have a couple 6" whatever dials for use when sawing, etc.

Have 1 12" Mitsu dial.

Have 3 Mitsu 8" dials.

My favorites are the 8" dials.

Digitals have batteries to replace occasionally. They only read to 5
tenths. And they got no feel. Which side of that .0005 is it?

Dials can be read to a closer measurment, you can see where the needle
is. Besides, I learned to count turns to check depth differences. Plus I
like the balanced feel of the 8" ones.

mj