Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default M2 Steel source?

Hi Joe

We have a member of our turning club here in London On, that makes the
type of scraper bits you refer to.
He gets used planer knives and makes them out of them, those planer
knives he uses, are HSS.
Score the knives and break into pieces, than grind to shape, the
hardest part is making the hole, he uses carbide drills and burn them
through.
He sells them in three sizes, for $15.-- $20.-- and $25.--, the
turners that have bought them say they cut better than the original
ones.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Apr 16, 3:59 am, "JoeD" wrote:
On Apr 14, 6:00 am, "cad" wrote:

Max what I really meant for you to see was the link to "
toolanddie.com " the source where I get all my tool steel.

On Apr 13, 7:10 am, Max wrote:

"cad" writes:
Russ, I have long been making my own lathe and other tools. I have the
perfect site for you. Easy on the wallet, sell short sizes, and very
prompt delivery with kind polite service. The link in on my webpage at
the very bottom of :

http://handturnedbowls.biz/links.html

I have made some very dear tools from these guys stock.

cad

Cad, I really appreciated your description of how to heat treat tools.
I've read about it before, and always felt it was too confusing.

I have a very basic question. When you go to toolanddie.com's web
site, they offer ground flat stock in O1, A2, 4142, etc. Are these
considered HSS? I am looking for 1/8" thick scraper bits for a Basham
tool.