Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel Rick Samuel is offline

Default Building kitchen cabinets in place instead of modular units

Thats' two questions:

Built in place? or Built as single unit?

I did my kitchen cabs as compound modules that is, one big 8' box. 8' is the
practical limit because of the availability of plywood. It's really not any
different than smaller modules. It's just a bigger box with interior
partitions. The module is built square and then shimmed plumb upon
installation.

If you meant build in place, don't do it. It's a nightmare to keep things
square.

-Steve

I did a complete kitchen for SWMBO, did one section built in place, the other section was individual cabinets. Not a great deal of differance, keeping everything square, on the first set, was not a nightmare, but you had to keep it in your mind always.
The big thing was moving parts from kitchen to shop, and back again. IF you can set up shop in the kitchen, you might think about building in place. If not go with individual units.