Posted to rec.woodworking
scott scott is offline

Default Delta 36-717 vs Grizzly 1023SL

On Apr 16, 12:05 pm, wrote:
On Apr 13, 10:12 am, Bill Waller wrote:

On 13 Apr 2007 06:27:22 -0700, "Matt" wrote:

What did we ever do without the internet? I am sitting here in Mi and
I got info from Iowa-Morris and Steve. Sorry, i just thought that was
cool......

OK, freight delivered to my house. I am assuming that all the parts
are on the pallet and wrapped up. Will the components get broken down
on the truck and given to me or will they offload the palet in my
driveway/street? Thats how they deliver two truckloads of deck wood,
by dropping it in the street.

What about the 1023SL? Who has one and what do you think?

Matt,
I have a 1023Z (3HP version of the 1023ZX) and really like it.

The delivery was a little tricky for me. The saw was part of a larger tool
order from Grizzly. The carrier sent out a 45' trailer. The driver was not
comfortable backing the rig up my driveway...about 1500' and up hill.

We took my van down to the street and used a pair of 7' ramps to slide the
tools from the trailer into the van. Took the van back up the drive and used
the ramps to slide the tools into the garage. The second move was my
responsibility. Everything except the saw body was in the house by the time my
wife got home that evening.

We took a similar approach when my G0444Z arrived (not as heavy as the
1023, but tough for two guys to manhandle to the ground from a semi-
trailer). I live in a cul-de-sac with the garage accessible only by a
circuitous ally and the driver wanted no part of that. I pulled my
pickup around and the height difference between the two was small
enough that we could slide the cartons into the bed of the P/U. We had
to take them off the pallets though, which was good because the driver
didn't mind hauling them away, saving me the trouble.

Bottom line, they may or may not show up with a lift gate unless you
specifically request it, and there may be a fee associated with that.
As I recall, Grizzly makes that very clear during the order process.

Tom

As reported, the Grizzly is 1023 is a great saw especially for the
money, although I would prefer a rear lock on the shop fox fence as
with large sheet cuts and inexperienced helpers its too easy to get a
bit off track. Other than that, its an animal. I have a decent
blade and have never ever come close to bogging it down, it has scary
power (stand to the side when possible so you protect your crotch from
kickbacks). And use a heavy cord as an extension if you go that
route, mine allows the thing to wheeled out in the driveway for less
dust. My exenstion cord is about 2x as heavy looking as the stock
cord that comes with it, I can't remember the gauge when I made it but
it is big. Thought about running it all the way to the switch but
figured I doing enough over-kill as it was....