Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber Pat Barber is offline

Default Building kitchen cabinets in place instead of modular units

That method was used pretty widely till at least the late
70's. It nothing new, just longer pieces and bigger boxes.

I would stay with "stndard" sizes for a lot of different
reasons, but doors would be the # 1 reason.

Smaller units(24,30,36,42) are just easier to deal with.

Fine Woodworker has done several "special editions" on
kitches... I seen the method you are referring to use in
more than one article.

wklkj wrote:

I've got a rental property that's about 100 years old and in need of a
new kitchen. I'm thinking about building base and wall cabinets out
of poplar and painting them. I remember seeing an episode of 'This
Old House' years ago where Norm built all the cabinets (3 or 4 in a
row) as one, long unit. If I remember correctly, it looked pretty
easy as compared to building individual units.

Does anyone know a website where I might see an example of this build
process?

Thanks!