Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default electrical outlets

wrote in message
ups.com...
A friend of mine told me the proper way to install an electrical
outlet for the standard home is to position the round ground connector
in the upward position. Has anyone else heard of this? I have never
seen an outlet positioned this way in my life.

As you observed, nearly all are ground down.
Some say that is wrong because things falling down will hit the hot/neutral
rather than just the neutral.
There is some sense to that, but ground up looks wrong to most people since
it is not common.
Neither is "proper". Probably best to do whatever the rest of your outlets
are.