Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,alt.med.veterinary,sci.bio.microbiology
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\) N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\) is offline

Default Ozone Generator -vs- Cat Urine Spray?

Dear timothy42b:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 13, 8:49 pm, "dlzc" wrote:
Unless we are going to talk past one
another yet again, the last words can be yours.

While getting the last word can be pleasant, data
might be more useful in resolving the disagreement.

I am skeptical about the effectiveness of ozone on
directly reducing odor because of the difficulty
controlling concentration and contact time. The
people who try to sell me boiler chemicals,
swimming pool treatments, drinking water
treatments, etc., know what concentrations they
want AND how to measure what they are getting.
The people who try to sell me magnetic water
treatment and ozone odorant control usually know
neither. Often they can't even tell you units for flow.

And I have found chemical salesmen that had the some problems you
describe for ozone salesmen. None of them are in business for
long.

You are skeptical about the effectiveness of ozone
on reducing smell sensitivity, I don't really know why.

Ozone has a half-life in air of minutes to hours, depending on
humidity and temperature. An ozone treatment now, is gone
tomorrow. The olfactory sense can be swamped for a while. But
if you are ever capable of smelling mold in a different building,
and smell none in a building recently treated, that is because
there is none present.

The data I think would be useful would be the
concentrations known to have an effect on the nose,

The effect is temporary, not permanent. The presence of ozone in
air is temporary, not permanent.

and the concentrations known to have an effect on
aerosol odorous compounds. I don't know where to
look for that data, I'm assigned to Europe with no
access to English language libraries.

On days where ozone levels are high enough to cause the
government to issue a warning, people can still taste food. So
the "threshold" is higher than this.

The concentrations of ozone known to have an effect on odorous
compounds is not quite zero... it is the mass produced / reacted,
not the instantaneous distribution of said mass... just like with
any other first-order rate reaction. You can feed a chemical
slowly over a day, or feed it in doses once-a-day, the mass
injected is mass reacted (unless it is a cooling tower of
course... then some of it is blown down).

David A. Smith