Posted to rec.woodworking
Stoutman Stoutman is offline

Default cutting board

I like it! And LOML walked in while I was looking at it, and she
really liked it too - she even correctly ID'd all the woods! (She's
learning!)

impressive!

Anyway, I always like walnut/cherry or walnut/maple combinations -
good choice of woods IMO. I'm not sure how I feel about the inlays -
can't decide whether they're supposed to be the main focal point
point, or a secondary accent.

They were used to add more visual interest.

I don't think they're too large, but I
just don't think they add much to the piece - maybe because I'm just
drawn to the beauty in the cherry and walnut, it doesn't need another
focal point in my mind. Or maybe it's that bowties are supposed to be
functional in my mind, so the fact that they're absent on the middle
board gives away the fact that they're merely aesthetic inlays. I
dunno.

I think I agree with you here. Bowties (dutchman) are usually used for
structural purposes, so because I used them at the joint intersection, one
automatically expects to see them at all joint intersections. I probably
should have avoided the intersections in the four corners? Don't know.

Overall, it's a beautiful and well-made piece, and I would be honored
to own it or proud to have made it. Great work on the inlays - it
doesn't matter whether or not I like them - they're perfectly done,
from what I can see in the picture - keep up the good work!
Thanks for sharing,
Andy

Thank you!