Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cutting board

I got to play in my woodshop today! Yippee. I made a cutting board from
cherry and walnut with maple inlay.

Let me know if you like it. I think I'm getting a little better with my
inlay kit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage2.htm last one down

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I got to play in my woodshop today! Yippee. I made a cutting board from
cherry and walnut with maple inlay.

Let me know if you like it. I think I'm getting a little better with my
inlay kit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage2.htm last one down

Looks nice. Can you make smaller inlays? I wonder if it would look better
with smaller but one for each joint or if it would look too busy that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Let me know if you like it. I think I'm getting a little better with my
inlay kit.

I like it! And LOML walked in while I was looking at it, and she
really liked it too - she even correctly ID'd all the woods! (She's
learning!)
Anyway, I always like walnut/cherry or walnut/maple combinations -
good choice of woods IMO. I'm not sure how I feel about the inlays -
can't decide whether they're supposed to be the main focal point
point, or a secondary accent. I don't think they're too large, but I
just don't think they add much to the piece - maybe because I'm just
drawn to the beauty in the cherry and walnut, it doesn't need another
focal point in my mind. Or maybe it's that bowties are supposed to be
functional in my mind, so the fact that they're absent on the middle
board gives away the fact that they're merely aesthetic inlays. I
dunno.
Overall, it's a beautiful and well-made piece, and I would be honored
to own it or proud to have made it. Great work on the inlays - it
doesn't matter whether or not I like them - they're perfectly done,
from what I can see in the picture - keep up the good work!
Thanks for sharing,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
I got to play in my woodshop today! Yippee. I made a cutting board from
cherry and walnut with maple inlay.

Let me know if you like it. I think I'm getting a little better with my
inlay kit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage2.htm last one down

You do really nice work, Stout. The
colour contrasts are lovely. That'll be
one of my future projects, and I hope I
can do something half as lovely.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks nice. Can you make smaller inlays? I wonder if it would look better
with smaller but one for each joint or if it would look too busy that way.

Yeah. I didn't think of that until after. If I used smaller inlays I could
have fit one at each joint intersection. But the goal was just to add more
visual interest (maybe a little over kill).

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like it! And LOML walked in while I was looking at it, and she
really liked it too - she even correctly ID'd all the woods! (She's
learning!)

impressive!

Anyway, I always like walnut/cherry or walnut/maple combinations -
good choice of woods IMO. I'm not sure how I feel about the inlays -
can't decide whether they're supposed to be the main focal point
point, or a secondary accent.

They were used to add more visual interest.

I don't think they're too large, but I
just don't think they add much to the piece - maybe because I'm just
drawn to the beauty in the cherry and walnut, it doesn't need another
focal point in my mind. Or maybe it's that bowties are supposed to be
functional in my mind, so the fact that they're absent on the middle
board gives away the fact that they're merely aesthetic inlays. I
dunno.

I think I agree with you here. Bowties (dutchman) are usually used for
structural purposes, so because I used them at the joint intersection, one
automatically expects to see them at all joint intersections. I probably
should have avoided the intersections in the four corners? Don't know.

Overall, it's a beautiful and well-made piece, and I would be honored
to own it or proud to have made it. Great work on the inlays - it
doesn't matter whether or not I like them - they're perfectly done,
from what I can see in the picture - keep up the good work!
Thanks for sharing,
Andy

Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
|| Looks nice. Can you make smaller inlays? I wonder if it would
|| look better with smaller but one for each joint or if it would
|| look too busy that way.
|
| Yeah. I didn't think of that until after. If I used smaller
| inlays I could have fit one at each joint intersection. But the
| goal was just to add more visual interest (maybe a little over
| kill).

AOL. Smaller inlays would work better for me, too - and a pair for
each joint might add still more balance and visual interest. It might
even be possible to size the inlays to give the impression of a border
at both ends...

'Tis nice clean work!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I got to play in my woodshop today! Yippee. I made a cutting board from
cherry and walnut with maple inlay.

Let me know if you like it. I think I'm getting a little better with my
inlay kit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage2.htm last one down

Very nice. Gave me an idea -- a cutting board with a dutchman in the shape
of each state/province where we've lived (5 or 6 so far, depending on how
you count) -- might be an interesting conversation piece. Of course, have
to leave room for future states...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message

Looks nice. Can you make smaller inlays? I wonder if it would look
better
with smaller but one for each joint or if it would look too busy that
way.

Yeah. I didn't think of that until after. If I used smaller inlays I
could have fit one at each joint intersection. But the goal was just to
add more visual interest (maybe a little over kill).

Either way, it is an eye catcher and so much different than any store bought
piece. Be sure to post the third or fourth generation of them if you try
other design refinements. You could even make a set of accompanying
accessories like coasters, cheese plate, etc.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Cutting Board Stoutman Woodworking 1 October 2nd 06 12:20 AM
cutting board Swingman Woodworking 0 April 13th 06 12:31 AM
Cutting Board Highspeed Woodworking 20 December 23rd 04 06:36 PM
cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM