Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default Delta 36-717 vs Grizzly 1023SL

For a *little* more money I can pick up the 1023SL, which is one heck
of a saw for the money (from what I have read). I have not had an
opportunity to put my hands on this saw.

If you are not completely stuck on the 1023SL, the 1023S is pretty much the
same machine without the left-tilt. Their site says the SL splitter is
updated but I have never seen one. I have owned a 1023S for about five
years and I am completely satisfied with the machine and Grizzly.

What are the drawbacks of mail ordering the 1023SL?

One guy answered "no instant gratification." Gratification came pretty
quick for me. I placed an internet order at around 11:00 one evening and
the trucker called about 36 hours later wanting instructions.

What about accessories? I would think that I could walk into almost any
woodworking store and pick up Delta goodies. The Grizzly would be all
mail order. How does the shipping work? Is this a UPS/FedEx handled
shipment? Do you pick up the saw at UPS/FedEx and if so how will the
saw be placed in my truck? If delivered, I need to request a truck
with a ramp or I will have to unload by hand; correct?

A lot of accessories are pretty much generic. I can buy inserts, splitters,
featherboards and other stuff from local stores. The Shop Fox Fence is a
favored aftermarket accessory for some other saws. As I mentioned above,
Grizzly is pretty responsive. I have ordered other tools and they seldom
take a full week to arrive. I had a problem with a hand-held spindle sander
last year and they asked me to return it for evaluation. I had a new one
within a week or so. We live in Wichita, Kansas which is about 250 miles
from the Springfield Store.

Mine came via an independent trucking company. I drove my pickup to the
depot and a couple of their guys loaded the boxes into my truck. I drove
home and got a couple of the neighborhood guys to help me slide it down my
ramps. If you pick it up, I'll give you a some hints: 1) You can partially
unpack it before you take it off of the pickup. Open the carton and remove
the wings. That, alone, will reduce the weight of the main carton
substantially. 2) Do buy a mobile base. 3) Do not assemble anything until
the saw is on the mobile base. I tied the mobile base to the shipping
pallet and it was pretty easy for wife and I to slide it from pallet to the
mobile base. Then assemble the saw. 4) The Shop Fox fence will come in a
separate box and it, itself, and it is heavy. Again, no assembly until it
is on the base.

By contrast, our son-in-law ordered a Grizzly G0500 8" jointer and one of
their bigger drill presses and had the trucking company deliver. They did
have a lift gate on the truck. But the driver wouldn't even help push it
off onto the driveway. I think picking it up yourself and arranging help,
at your convenience, is the way to go.

Grizzly's customer service used to provide names and phone numbers of up to
two customers, within your area, that made similar purchases. I imagine
they still do. This is voluntary, on the customer's part, but might give
you an opportunity to see a machine and talk to the owner before you jump
off. I did this and the experience provided good feedback.

RonB