Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

Default Where does "turning" end and "machining" begin?

Machining: To cut, shape, or finish by machine.
There is no distinction as to material, tool type or process. You machine
something on your lathe (wood) using hand held tools. I machine something on
my lathe (metal, plastic) using machine held cutting tools. You machine
something with a router. I machine something with a milling machine. Same
thing.

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message
It seems to me, the line is thick enough.

Turning: You rotate the workpiece past a stationary or moving tool.

Machining: You rotate or/and move the tool past a stationary workpiece.

Other ideas?

BjarteR