Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,alt.med.veterinary,sci.bio.microbiology
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\) N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\) is offline

Default Ozone Generator -vs- Cat Urine Spray?

Dear timothy42b:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 13, 3:56 am, "N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)"

wrote:

Saying that a microwave cooks from the inside out
sounds reasonable, too. It still is not true.

Yes ozone will desensitize your nose... to the smell
of ozone. Enough of it will have other physiological
effects as well.

Ozone will not *quite* pass from point of generation
to either double carbon bonds or less-than fully
oxided sulfur without passing through points in
between. But it will come very close to that.

And yet I've seen it be quite effective on a mildew
smell in a space large enough there is no chance
it was really removing the odorant.

So I have to believe the desensitization is a bit
more general than you think.

You claim it had "no chance" of removing the odorant. You can
still smell mildew odors to this day. Ozone's "swamping" or
desensitization of the sense of smell (or only certain receptors)
is short lived. If the mildew odor is not present the next day,
it is because ozone did its job, found / oxidized those double
carbon bonds, and decayed fully back to oxygen.

So I have to believe you have not thought this all through. I
have breathed 10+wt% ozone on a couple of occasions. I can still
smell ozone, and a lot of other things.

Ozone is not a magic bullet. Even for your sense of smell.

David A. Smith