Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem,alt.med.veterinary,sci.bio.microbiology
Bill Penrose Bill Penrose is offline

Default Ozone Generator -vs- Cat Urine Spray?

On Apr 12, 7:15 am, wrote:
On Apr 11, 6:52 pm, "Bill Penrose" wrote:

I was involved in some experiments years ago with removing the odor of
cigarettes from 'no smoking' rooms in hotels. Seems that maintaining
10 ppm ozone for a few hours got rid of most odors without a lot of
damage to fabrics and so on. Dangerous Bill

I have been told that ozone generators work by desensitizing your
nose, rather than actually reacting with the odor source.

Both are true. When I worked around ozone without enough ventilation,
I could detect it only by the itching in my throat and a dry sensation
at the back of my nose. This effect started at 50 ppb and increased
with concentration.

I can tell you that a surprise blast of 30% ozone in the face is no
fun at all, and it was a week or more before my throat and nose
completely recovered. Luckily I didn't inhale.

But it readily destroys some organic compounds, or and renders others
sufficiently polar that they are no longer volatile. It's so reactive
that you can actually measure a concentration gradient between the
center of a room and positions adjacent to the walls.

I know that it works well on residual cigarette stink, and not very
well on dead animal stench. Other odors may vary.

Dangerous Bill