Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Where does "turning" end and "machining" begin?

Maybe its what's between you, the tool that does the cutting,
and the wood - as well as the precision required. Trying to
cut a curve with a cutter in an XY cutter table is tough
- Etch-A-Sketch type thing. Maybe it's having the tactile feed
back that a hand held cutting tool provides.

Then there's CNC machines - no tactile feed back but curves
are no problem - not much fun either.

But back to routering in flutes, spirals and the like. Are you
actually turning with a Legacy machine - or machining?

There's a similar issue with dovetails. Handcut and you have
an infinite range of possibilities. With a router and jig you
have a limited number of possibilities. And when you handcut
them you can make the pins smaller than any affordable
machine/jig combo can make.

Maybe it's a practicality thing. Use whatever you've got to
get close to where you want to be - then do the part that
requires the finesse turning that's best done by hand.

As for Bin Pho - he's one of those guys that uses turning
as a part of the art he creates - one medium as a part of
a greater whole. His stuff "speaks" to me and I like what
I hear. Others may have completely different opinions of
course.

Turning sure has gone in a lot of different directions - most
in an interesting and good direction. Room for everyone!

charlie b