Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Mitchell Clive Mitchell is offline

Default Washing machine install (only got a cold feed, washer has hot and cold feeds)

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment and the slot under the
worktop for the washing machine only has a cold supply. Her existing
machine has hot and cold feeds. Adding a hot water supply is OTT as
when she gets settled down she will be able to replace her washing
machine with a new cold feed only model and one that fits the silver
colour scheme she wants.

It is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 and the question is "Do I need to
cap off the hot feed on the washer before I install the machine for
her?"

I am worried that water may come out of the hot feed entry point but I
am sure there must be some check valve in the machine to prevent this.

You can get a standard plastic screw-on splitter that allows both the
hot and cold hoses to be attached to a single cold water feed.
Alternatively just add another "tap-in" washing machine feed on the
existing cold line.

That's how I plumbed my machine.

At modern low temperature washes it doesn't take the machine long to
heat the water to a suitable temperature.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com