Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Where does "turning" end and "machining" begin?

So where is that illusive line between wood turning - and
machining?

charlie b

To me, people tend to think of woodturning as more free form artistic
endeavors than other aspects of woodwork.

I would submit that this is because the end results of a typical
turning project don't have to serve any other function than to be
pleasing to the eye. Most projects aren't drawn out beforehand,
carefully laid out on the wood, and certainly don't adhere to strict
dimensions as a mark of a successful piece.

Nope. I think most chuck up a piece of wood with a general design in
mind, and start cutting.

To further the confusion, I think some mistake the fact that they are
manipulating the cutter in their hands as a totally different
operation than holding the material like you would with table saw.
Apparently there is a harmonic flow that eminates from the wood when
you become one with it.

Sadly, most of the demos that I have enjoyed have been from turners
that took the "gimme just a minute while I hog this off" approach. It
sure takes the airy approach of an artistic turner in another
direction.

If we call an operator of a metal lathe a machinist, why do we call
woodturners something different? Probably so we can be charged more
for our tools (my ears are still ringing from the newest price
increases from Craft Supplies and Packard). Think about it; both spin
the material to be shaped or cut. Both can be operated manually or
semi autonomously, and in both cases the cutter/scraper/finishing
tools approach the material. So the only difference to me is for the
most part one holds the tool when woodturning (unless using a
duplicator or one of those monster hollowing rigs) and in the other
the machine holds the cutter, placed and directed by the operator.

I think it is all machining, but wood has the added aspect
differing from many other mediums of being much more flexible in its
form and characteristics, as well as how it is finished.

Just my 0.02, though..

Robert